Warren Wilson College Students

One education, twice the impact! Bring your degree, coursework, and experiences from Warren Wilson and get licensed to teach through UNCA. The teacher licensure partnership provides an opportunity to pursue a bachelor’s degree in a subject you love while attaining a license to teach middle or high school. Typically the requirements to earn the teaching license can be completed in a year as a post-baccalaureate student at UNC Asheville.

Warren Wilson students who are interested in earning their teaching license at UNC Asheville should complete the Program Interest Form and email:

Dr. Annie Jonas (WWC)

Rebecca Bodenheimer (UNCA)


Getting Started

To get started, you must do the following:

  • Inform your major advisor at Warren Wilson College that you wish to pursue a teaching license through the partnership with UNC Asheville.
  • Meet with the Education Advisor at Warren Wilson, Dr. Annie Jonas.
  • Meet with the Coordinator of Field Placements at UNC Asheville, Rebecca Bodenheimer.


Informal Admission

Your junior or senior year you will begin taking classes at UNC Asheville starting with EDUC 211: Instructional Technology for Educational Settings. At this point you are considered informally admitted into the program and you will be assigned an education advisor at UNC Asheville.

While at Warren Wilson you can transfer the following courses to the UNC Asheville program:

  • EDUC 2120: Teaching Foundations for Middle and High School
  • EDUC 3050: Educational Psychology
  • EDUC 3140: Survey of Exceptional Children

Before graduating, take the following at UNC Asheville using the cross-registration process at Warren Wilson. These classes are offered each semester:

  • EDUC 211: Instructional Technology for Educational Settings, K-12 (You can take this while taking EDUC 2120 at Wilson.)
  • EDUC 314: Multiple Literacies in Content Area Classrooms

Once you graduate, take the following courses:

Fall Semester (6 hours) – We recommend you substitute teach during this timeframe with one of our partner districts.

  • EDUC 430: Methods and Materials of Teaching
  • EDUC 43X: Methods

Spring Semester (12 hours)

  • EDUC 455: Student Teaching
  • EDUC 456: Teacher as 21st Century Professionals


Formal Admission

To be formally admitted, you must complete the following:

  • Pass EDU 2120 at WWC with a C or higher.
  • Receive a grade of “satisfactory” in EDUC 211 at UNCA.
  • Achieve at least an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher and a major GPA of 2.5 or higher.
  • Pass a background check during EDUC 211.
  • Receive passing scores on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators if your ACT or SAT scores do not exempt you from taking the test.

Admission to UNC Asheville as a Post-Baccalaureate Student

You will complete both informal and formal admission requirements while you are still enrolled as a student at Warren Wilson College. After graduating from Warren Wilson, you will need to apply to UNC Asheville as a post-baccalaureate teacher licensure student in order to complete the Professional Year, which consists of a semester of capstone courses and a semester clinical practice internship, commonly referred to as student teaching. In order to be admitted, you must graduate from Warren Wilson College with at least a 2.7 Cumulative GPA.


When should I start this process?

It is in your best interest to start the conversation about course requirements by your sophomore year. While you will not begin taking education classes at UNC Asheville until your junior year (or in some cases, senior year) there are still other course requirements you will need to complete at Warren Wilson College.

If you decide late in your college career that you would like to earn a teaching license, please still contact us (teach@unca.edu). We will help you figure out how much extra time it would take for you to complete licensure requirements.

What is the cost for participating in this program?

While you are enrolled as a full-time student at Warren Wilson College, you will not pay an additional cost to take classes at UNC Asheville. If you are receiving financial aid, you must take at least 12 credit hours a Warren Wilson College to be considered a full-time student. Once you are enrolled solely at UNC Asheville as a post-baccalaureate student, you will pay the same tuition as undergraduate students. Please note that if you are from another state, you will have to pay the out-of-state tuition rate.

Does it matter which semester I begin the Professional Year at UNC Asheville?

Yes! You must begin the Professional Year in a Fall semester.

Will I need a car to participate in this program?

You will likely need your own transportation. UNC Asheville’s education courses are taught face-to-face. Furthermore, most of the education courses include field requirements that you must complete in local schools.