Warren Wilson College Students

Warren Wilson College and UNC Asheville have formed a partnership so that students can complete their bachelor’s degree at Warren Wilson, and in most cases, complete the requirements to earn their teaching license in a year as a post-baccalaureate student at UNC Asheville.

Warren Wilson students who are interested in earning their teaching license at UNC Asheville should fill out an Informal Admission Interest Form and email it to Brook Thompson.


Please see this video for more information.

Admission and Licensure Requirements

To get started, you must do the following:

-Inform your major advisor at Warren Wilson College that you wish to pursue a teaching license through the partnership with UNC Asheville. 

-Meet with the Education Advisor at Warren Wilson, Dr. Annie Jonas

-Complete the Informal Admission Interest Form and send it to Brook Thompson.

Informal Admission

Your junior or senior year you will begin taking classes at UNC Asheville starting with EDUC 211 Instructional Technology for Educational Settings, K-12. At this point you are considered informally admitted into the program and you will be assigned an education advisor at UNC Asheville.  

Formal Admission

To be formally admitted, you must complete the following:
-Pass EDU 2120 at WWC with a C or higher. 
-Receive a grade of “satisfactory” in EDUC 211 at UNCA.
-Achieve at least an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher and a major GPA of 2.5 or higher.
-Pass a background check during EDUC 211.
-Receive passing scores on the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators if your ACT or SAT scores do not exempt you from taking the test.

Admission to UNC Asheville as a Post-Bacalaureate Student

You will complete both informal and formal admission requirements while you are still enrolled as a student at Warren Wilson College. After graduating from Warren Wilson, you will need to apply to UNC Asheville as a post-bacalaureate teacher licensure student in order to complete the Professional Year, which consists of a semester of capstone courses and a semester clinical practice internship, commonly reffered to as student teaching. In order to be admitted, you must graduate from Warren Wilson College with at least a 2.7 Cumulative GPA.


Other Licensure Requirements

To earn a teaching license, you must complete the previously mentioned requirements and:
-Earn a grade of “C” or higher on all courses required for licensure.
-Receive a satisfactory evaluation of performance in all field experiences.
-Complete a 16 week clinical practice internship (student teaching), and during that time submit an EdTPA digital portfolio, which is used to assess your ability to plan lessons, teach, and assess student learning.  Starting in 2020 there will be a minimum EdTPA score requirement for earning your license.
-Pass all state mandated tests for your licensure area.


Approved Licensure areas

The curriculum is outlined for the following majors/licensure area combinations. 

Major                                        Teaching License
 Art                                              K-12 Art
 History/Political Science         6-9 & 9-12 Social Studies
 Environmental Studies            6-9 Science & 9-12 Earth Science
 English                                      6-9 & 9-12 English
 Creative Writing                       6-9 & 9-12 English

If you are a Warren Wilson student who is interested in earning a teaching license in another area, please contact Brook Thompson to discuss the feasability of doing so. 


When should I complete the Informal Admission Interest Form?

You can complete the Informal Admission Interest Form at any point you're enrolled at Warren Wilson College, however, it is in your best interest to start the conversation about course requirements by your sophomore year. While you will not begin taking classes at UNC Asheville until your junior year (or in some cases, senior year) there are still other course requirements you will need to complete at Warren Wilson College. 

If you decide late in your college career that you would like to earn a teaching license, please still complete the Informal Admission Interest Form. Dr. Jonas from Warren Wilson and Brook Thompson from UNCA will help you figure out how much extra time it would take for you to complete licensure requirements.

What is the cost for participating in this program?

While you are enrolled as a full-time student at Warren Wilson College, you will not pay an additional cost to take classes at UNC Asheville. If you are receiving financial aid, you must take at least 12 credit hours a Warren Wilson College to be considered a full-time student. Once you are enrolled soley at UNC Asheville as a post-baccalaureate student, you will pay the same tuition as undergraduate students. Please note that if you are from another state, you will have to pay the out-of-state tuition rate.

Does it matter which semester I begin the Professional Year at UNC Asheville?

Yes! You must begin the Professional Year in a fall semester. 

Will I need a car to participate in this program?

You will likely need your own transportation. UNC Asheville's education courses are taught face-to-face. Futhermore, most of the education courses include field requirements that you must complete in local schools.