The State Board of Education is phasing out the "Lateral Entry Pathway". This pathway will no longer be offered effective June 30, 2019. The entire lateral entry route will formally close and all candidates employed under this license option must have all requirements satisfied as of June 20, 2022.
Lateral entry teachers can take classes through UNC Asheville’s distance education program. Lateral entry courses fulfill requirements for regular classroom teachers and exceptional children teachers who are hired as lateral entry teachers in the state of North Carolina. Courses last four weeks (summer) to eight weeks (each semester) and meet specific competencies outlined by the Regional Alternative Licensing Center. Teachers who sign up for these courses must have a Plan of Study from the Regional Alternative Licensing Center. They must also fill out application forms.
Please note that all of the classes are offered online through moodle. There are two courses that meet 4 times via teleconference, in addition to the online coursework, and that is noted under Current Classes.
How It Works
You must already be employed as a lateral entry teacher in order to enroll in lateral entry classes.
Enroll/register for classes:
- Send us your RALC plan. You can fax it (828.251.6492) to the attention of "Distance Education" or scan and email it (email@example.com). Please do not take a picture of it.
- Complete Residency Determination at www.NCresidency.org. This determines your eligibility for in-state tuition.
- Register for classes as a distance student (not non-degree) on the CFNC website if this is your first time registering for a Lateral Entry class at UNC Asheville OR if you did not take a class at UNCA in the semester directly preceeding the one for which you wish to enroll. You must also pay a $35 non-refundable application fee. If you took a class the previous semester then fill out the Continuing Student Application and scan/email it (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax it (Attention "Distance Education", 828.251.6492). Do NOT register through UNC Asheville admissions.
- On your application, include the course title and the course reference number (CRN). To see what courses are offered, go to the Current Classes/Lateral Entry page.
Pay for classes:
Payment for Term I and/or Term II classes is due the first day of class for each semester. So for the spring semester, payment is due January 16, 2018. Please see the Cost & Payment page for more information.
If you need to drop or withdraw from a class:
Since courses for lateral entry teachers are short, you only have a few days to drop a course. If you would like to drop a class you must email email@example.com and state which class you would like to drop, including the course title and the CRN. If you decide to no longer take a course after the drop period, then you must withdraw from the course. You can find the drop and withdrawal deadlines on the Registrar's website (click on the academic calendar for the semester for which you are enrolled).
Registration for spring 2019 is now open. Registration will close on January 7, 2019.
- Term 1: August 20 - October 5
- Term 2: October 10 - December 12
- Term 1: January 14 - March 8
- Term 2: March 18 - May 8
- Term 1: June 5 - July 2
- Term 2: July 8 - August 2
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 828.251.6304 if you have any questions.