Post-Baccalaureate Students

The department offers opportunities for individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree or higher and desire an initial North Carolina Standard Professional I Teaching Licensure.  To be licensed, post-baccalaureate candidates must meet the same or equivalent course requirements as other UNC Asheville candidates seeking licensure in the same area.

Post-baccalaureate candidates must also meet the same requirements for informal and formal admission into the program as undergraduate students.


Can I start the program at any point in the year?

While post-baccalaureate teacher licensure students can start in a fall or spring semester, due to the series in which courses are offered, for most students it is better to start in a fall semester. Please contact for more information.

What are the admission requirements?

To be accepted at UNC Asheville as a post-baccalaureate teacher licensure student, you must have graduated from an accredited undergraduate institution with at least a 2.7 GPA.

If you graduated with lower than a 2.7 GPA but feel that you are ready to accept the challenges of a rigorous teacher licensure program, you can earn a second degree at UNC Asheville and complete licensure requirements simultaneously.

How do I apply?

Complete the steps outlined through the admissions office website (click on the “Teacher Licensure” heading). On your application, make sure you check that you are a “Teacher licensure” student, not a “Post-baccalaureate second degree” student.

Make sure you have your undergraduate transcripts sent to the Admissions Office and not the Department of Education. You will need to submit transcripts from each institution of higher education you have attended, including community colleges.

The Admissions Office address is:
Office of Admission & Financial Aid, CPO #1320
UNC Asheville
One University Heights, Asheville, NC 28804-8502

Once you have been admitted, you will receive notification of your acceptance via a letter in the mail. In the months leading up to the new semester, a representative from the department will follow up with you about next steps.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Because Education at UNC Asheville is a program rather than an undergraduate major, the amount of additional coursework (and time) required to complete a licensure program will depend on which content area you would like to teach, and in what subject area you currently hold a bachelor’s degree.  For example, if you already possess a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and want to pursue licensure in 9-12 Mathematics, you will likely have less content area coursework to register for, and the majority of your courses will be in Education. However, if you possess a bachelor’s degree in Art but want to pursue licensure in 9-12 Mathematics, there will be more content area course requirements to fulfill in addition to your Education courses. All post-baccalaureate teacher licensure candidates should plan on attending the university for at least four semesters to complete the program.

If you want a better sense of course requirements prior to applying for admission to UNC Asheville, please email or call us at 828.251.6304 and we can give you more information based on your personal circumstances.

Do you offer summer courses or courses in the evening?

We typically offer one section of EDUC 210 in the evening; most other courses are offered only during day-time hours.

It is also important to keep in mind that most courses require field work that must be completed during school hours or in after-school programs.

Despite the busy schedule, many post-baccalaureate teacher licensure students still work part-time jobs and hold family and community commitments.

Do I have to take the courses in a certain order?

While there are a few courses that are offered each semester, most courses are only offered in the fall or spring and have prerequisites and/or corequisites that limit when you can take them. Every student, regardless of licensure area, must take EDUC 210 & 211 their first semester. It will be important to meet with your advisor each semester to ensure you are taking courses in the correct order.  You can find more information about the curriculum in the course catalog.

How much does the program cost?

Post-baccalaureate students pay the same tuition rates as undergraduate students.

Is there any financial aid available?

Post-baccalaureate teacher students may complete the FAFSA to determine if they are eligible for federal student loans.

Students pursuing a license in an area where we have a critical shortage of teachers may also apply for the FELS, Forgivable Education Loan for Service.

Post-baccalaureate teacher licensure students may also apply for Department of Education scholarships.